Leaky skylights is one of the common issues faced by many homeowners. Many years ago, skylights were installed only in the finest of homes to give it an exclusive feel. But now, most of the homes are built have skylights. Skylight is an architectural feature that helps bring in the natural light into the house making it look brighter and spacious. However, a leak in the skylight can take all the beauty away if you don’t catch them in time. So here is what you need to do if you have a leaky skylight.
Why do skylights leak?
- Property builders may have used cheap components to save costs.
- Poor installation of skylights can also lead to leaks- incorrect placement of sidewall flashing, pan metal, top edge screws, low nails, etc. can lead to a leaky skylight.
- Worn out window seal i.e. the seal holding the windowpane could have worn out with time due to exposure to all environmental factors or at the corners of the window seal frame- the seal begins to wear out causing leaks.
- A leak could also be a result of condensation forming on the inside of the glass during winters.
- An unrelated roof leak above the skylight that finds its way out through the opening in the ceiling around the skylight can also cause a leak.
How to identify leaky skylights?
A thorough inspection is all that you need to identify a leaky skylight and it is always better to hire services of professional roofers for a better diagnose of the problem.
- Look at the area around the skylight from both inside and outside to identify any stained or damp surfaces. However, if you are doing it yourself than make sure you take proper safety precautions.
- Cleaning the dirt, leaves, and twigs that have gathered on the skylight to check if there are any cracks.
- Also, inspect the shingles and flashings around the skylight carefully if they are properly installed and functional. If in case there are any lifted shingles you must immediately repair them.
- The purpose of the flashing is to make a watertight seal between the roof and skylight and any visible damage such as pinholes or corrosion are indicators that your flashing needs a repair. However, if the flashing looks moldy or completely damaged it needs to be replaced.
How to fix leaky skylights?
In case you find any cracks on the skylight after clearing the leaves and dirt you can seal the cracks with a layer of silicone along the entire length. You can use roofing cement to seal any holes or gaps in the flashing.
There may be a need to repair or replace the metal flashing around the frame of the skylight for which you should always call professional roofers.
In case you plan a DIY, try making the easier repairs with silicone caulking or roofing cement first before handling more difficult fixes such as replacing the flashings.
Call Allegiant Roofing
At Allegiant Roofing we will be happy to assist in all your roofing or skylight needs. You can be assured that once you give us a call for any roofing requirement you are in the hands of a team with years of experience and customer-backed satisfaction.
Call us at (937)907-0009, (513) 633-5321 or click here to contact us.